The idea of visiting a fertility specialist may arouse mixed emotions – it can be daunting and yet give you hope. Since you would be hearing a lot of new medical terms, diagnostic tests and treatments, it is a good idea to have a list of questions you can ask your fertility doctor.
- What tests would we undergo and how likely are these tests to establish a diagnosis?
- Does my partner need additional testing?
- What is our diagnosis?
- How does the condition prevent us from having a baby?
- Can the condition worsen, improve, or remain constant, over time?
- How much do the tests cost? Are these tests covered under my insurance?
- What type of treatment you recommend first?
- Does the treatment involve medication, surgery, or both?
- What are the risks of treatment?
- Are there any long-term effects of the treatment?
- Are there less invasive treatments we can try first?
- What does the recommended treatment cost?
- Are there multi-cycle packages?
- For any out-of-pocket costs, are any special payment plans/financing available?
- What are your success rates for the recommended treatments?
- What are my chances to get pregnant with the given treatment?
- Are there multiple cycles of treatment required?
- What is my prognosis? How likely is it for me to give birth to a healthy baby with the recommended treatment(s)?
- Are there lifestyle habits that might affect fertility, such as smoking or alcohol?
- How does stress affect fertility?
Whether you want to balance your family or want to ensure your baby will be a healthy baby, consult a fertility specialist right away.